Departmental Sponsored Research Centers
The forest products industry is an important industry for the United States. Competition within the forest products industry has become fierce. Marketing as well as management of production and people have become integral to remaining competitive. The Center for Forest Products Business strives to help firms improve the management of their operations and the marketing of their products.
As a natural outgrowth of the long time activities of the Pallet and Container Research Laboratory, the Center for Unit Load Design expands Pallet and Container research into the field of design and evaluation of all elements of materials handling systems.
Wood-based composites play an ever-increasing role in the wood products industry. The WBC is focused on meeting the educational and research needs of the wood-based composites, and related, industries.
Collaborations with the Department
- Lightweight Panel Network (LPN)
- Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science (ICTAS)
- Center for Innovation-based Manufacturing
- LEAN@ Virginia Tech
- International Corrugated Packaging Foundation
- Institute of Packaging Professionals
- International Safe Transit Association
- USDA Forest Service Southern Research Station
- Forestry Careers & Degrees: a Guide for Students